Cannabis can have a serious impact on your oral health. Here are some facts about how cannabis can affect you:
- Long-term cannabis use can lead to chronic dryness in the mouth, which can dramatically increase the rate of tooth decay and gum disease.
- A dry mouth can increase the risk of oral infections, such as candidiasis, also known as thrush or a yeast infection.
- Cannabis stains teeth and affects the soft tissue in the mouth.
- The high temperature of marijuana smoke has been linked to changes in oral tissues. Over time, this can increase the likelihood of developing oral cancer.
- Edible forms of cannabis can be particularly dangerous as the level of THC, the psychoactive component, is difficult to control and the impact of the drug is long-lasting.
Tell your dentist if you use cannabis. Using cannabis in any form before a dental procedure can negatively affect the type and amount of medication or sedation you require, increase bleeding, and complicate healing.